Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
Left to Right: Mark J. Mendelsohn, MD; Eve J. Higginbotham, MD; Alan G. Wasserman, MD; Sheryl Pfeil, MD; N. Joseph Espat, MD; Tonya Cramer, MD; C. Bruce Alexander, MD; Ruth Marie Fincher, MD; Barbara Prince; Richard L. Byyny, MD; John Tooker, MD, MBA; Lynn M. Cleary, MD; Alicia Alcamo, MD; Robert G. Atnip, MD; Steven A. Wartman, MD, PhD; Laura Tisch, MSIV; Christopher Clark, MD; Wiley Souba, MD, DSc, MBA; William Nichols; Richard B. Gunderman, MD, PhD; Suzann Pershing, MD; Alan Robinson, MD
2013 meeting of the AΩA board of directors
The annual meeting of the board of directors of Alpha Omega Alpha was held in Denver, Colorado, on October 5, 2013.
- Officers: President C. Bruce Alexander; President Elect John Tooker, MD, MBA; Immediate Past President Ruth Marie Fincher, MD.
- Members at large: Robert G. Atnip, MD; N. Joseph Espat, MD; Eve J. Higginbotham, MD; Sheryl Pfeil, MD; Alan G. Robinson, MD; Wiley Souba, MD, DSc, MBA; Steven A. Wartman, MD, PhD.
- Councilor directors: Lynn M. Cleary, MD, State University of New York Upstate Medical University; Richard B. Gunderman, MD, PhD, Indiana University School of Medicine; Mark J. Mendelsohn, MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine; Alan G. Wasserman, George Washington University School of Medicine.
- Student directors: Alicia Alcamo, MD, the Ohio State University College of Medicine; Christopher Clark, MD, University of Mississippi School of Medicine; Tonya Cramer, MD, Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science; Laura Tisch, MSIV, Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Coordinator, Residency Initiatives: Suzann Pershing, MD.
- National office staff: Executive Director Richard L. Byyny, MD; Assistant Treasurer William F. Nichols; Programs Administrator Candice Cutler; Membership Administrator Jane Kimball; Managing Editor Debbie Lancaster; Controller Barbara Prince.
- Absent: Secretary-Treasurer Joseph W. Stubbs, MD; Member at Large Douglas S. Paauw, MD; Medical Organization Director Carol A. Aschenbrener, MD.
New to the board are:
- Mark J. Mendelsohn, MD, elected to a three-year term as Councilor director.
- Wiley Souba, MD, DSc, MBA, elected to a three-year term as Member at large.
- Laura Tisch, MSIV, elected to a three-year term as Student director.
- Steven A. Wartman, MD, PhD, elected to a three-year term as Member at large .
- Councilor director Richard Gunderman, MD, PhD, was elected to a three-year term as member at large.
The board of directors recognized the retiring board members, and expressed thanks for their service to Alicia Alcamo, MD; N. Joseph Espat, MD; and Ruth Marie Fincher, MD.
Thanks were also expressed for the exemplary service of retiring President C. Bruce Alexander, who becomes immediate past president.
Left to Right: Ruth Marie Fincher, MD; C. Bruce Alexander, MD;
N. Joseph Espat, MD; Alicia Alcamo, MD
The following members of the board were elected as officers for a one-year term:
- John Tooker, MD, MBA—President
- Douglas S. Paauw, MD—President Elect
- C. Bruce Alexander, MD—Immediate Past President
Five honorary members were proposed this year and were elected to honorary membership for their distinguished contributions to medicine:
- Shotai Kobayashi, MD, PhD—President, Shimane University
- Mats Lundström, MD, PhD—Professor Emeritus, Lund University, Sweden
- Boris Malyugin, MD, PhD—Deputy Director General, S. Fyodorov Eye Microsurgery State Institution
- John H. Pearn, MD, PhD, MPhil, AO, RFD—Professor Emeritus, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- A. G. Prentice, MBChB—President, the Royal College of Pathologists, London
Dr. Alexander and Dr. Byyny presented their reports for the year, summarizing the year for AΩA programs, new medical school chapters, chapter visits, fundraising, the membership directory and database, and communications and public relations.
The financial review was presented by Mr. Nichols and Ms. Prince. A presentation on AΩA’s investment program as given by Jennifer Ellison and Diana Lieberman of Bingham Osborn & Scarborough.
Mr. Nichols presented a proposal for regular small dues increases, subject to approval each year by the Executive Committee. The proposal was passed by unanimous consent.
Dr. Gunderman reported on the councilor meeting that immediately preceded the board meeting. A final report on the councilor meeting from the committee chairs (Dr. Gunderman, Dr. Gabriel Virella, and Dr. Elma LeDoux) is forthcoming.
Dr. Fincher reported on the status of new chapter chartering.
A report on the Professionalism Award and the Professionalism Meeting in July was presented by Dr. Paauw by teleconference.
A report on the work of the committee for the Leadership Award was presented by Dr. Higginbotham. A motion was made to approve the Leadership Award and Development Program to promote the development of leaders in academia, medical and health organizations, and the community. The motion was passed by unanimous consent.
A report on The Pharos was presented by Managing Editor Debbie Lancaster.
Dr. Pershing presented a report on the Residents Initiative project and the results of the Postgraduate Award.
The minutes of the 2012 board meeting were approved. A final budget was also approved.
Executive Director Richard L. Byyny, MD
Updated on October 29, 2013.