Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
2013 Alpha Omega Alpha Professionalism Meeting
On July 1 and 2, 2013, Alpha Omega Alpha, with support from a President’s Grant from the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, sponsored a meeting in New York City on medical professionalism. The host of the meeting for Alpha Omega Alpha was Richard L. Byyny, MD, Executive Director of the society.
Richard L. Byyny, MD, opening remarks
The focus of the meeting on July 1 was Use of Systems to Enhance Professionalism. July 2 centered on Best Practices for the Remediation of Lapses in Professionalism.
Moderating the meeting were:
- Douglas S. Paauw, MD, Professor of Medicine, Rathmann Family Foundation Endowed Chair for Patient-Centered Clinical Education, and Head of the Section of General Internal Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Maxine Papadakis, MD, Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean for Student Affairs, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Catherine Lucey, MD
- Catherine Lucey, MD, Vice Dean for Education, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, “21st Century Professionalism: New Thinking about an Old Topic”
- Rebecca Saavedra, MD, Vice President for Strategic Management, University of Texas Medical Branch, “Interprofessional Systems to Enhance Professionalism”
- Gerald B. Hickson, MD, Joseph C. Ross Chair of Medical Education and Administration, Professor of Pediatrics, and Association Professor of Family and Health Systems Nursing, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, “Pursuing Professionalism (But Not without a System)”
- Jo Shapiro, MD, Chief, Division of Otolaryngology in the Department of Surgery and Director of the Center for Professionalism and Peer Support at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, “Cultural Transformation in Professionalism”
Richard M. Frankel, PhD
- Richard M. Frankel, PhD, Professor of Medicine and Geriatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Director of the Mary Margaret Walther Center for Palliative Care at the Simon Cancer Center, and Associate Director of the VA Center of Excellence in Implementing Evidence Based Practice at the Richard L. Roudebush VAMC, “Remediating Unprofessional Behavior in Medical Students: Each School an Island?”
- Anna Chang, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine and Director, Foundations of Patient Care Course, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, “Clinical Skills Remediation: Strategies for Intervention of Professionalism Lapses”
Deborah Ziring, MD
- Dennis H. Novack, MD, Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of Medical Education, Drexel University College of Medicine; and Deborah Ziring, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, “How Do Medical Schools Identify and Remediate Students with Professionalism Lapses?”
L to R: Jo Shapiro, MD; Deborah Ziring, MD; Rebecca Saavedra, MD; Maria Savoia, MD; Douglas Paauw, MD; and Maxine Papadakis, MD
L to R: Geoffrey Young, PhD; Gerald Hickson, MD; Holly Humphrey, MD, MACP; Catherine Lucey, MD; Jo Shapiro, MD; Carol Aschenbrener, MD
- C. Bruce Alexander, MD, Professor and Vice Chair, and Residency Program Director, Department of Pathology, University of Alabama School of Medicine; President, AΩA Board of Directors
- Carol Aschenbrener, MD, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, Association of American Medical Colleges
- William T. Branch, Jr., MD, Director, Division of General Medicine and Vice Chairman for Primary Care, Emory University School of Medicine
- Holly J. Humphrey, MD, MACP, the Ralph W. Gerard Professor in Medicine and Dean for Medical Education at the University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences, The Pritzker School of Medicine.
- Gail Morrison, MD, Professor of Medicine, Vice Dean for Education, and Director of the Office of Academic Programs, Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Maria Savoia, MD, Dean of Medical Education, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
George E. Thibault, MD, summing up
- George E. Thibault, MD, President, Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation
- Geoffrey H. Young, PhD, Senior Director of Student Affairs and Student Programs, Association of American Medical Colleges
Updated on August 19, 2013.
© 2017 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society