Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
Minutes of the 2015 Board of Directors Meeting
The annual meeting of the Board of Directors of Alpha Omega Alpha was held in Boulder, Colorado, on October 3, 2015. President Douglas Paauw opened the meeting.
The following members attended:
- Robert G. Atnip, MD, Member at Large and President-Elect
- Second Lieutenant Jeremy Bolin, MSIV, Incoming Student Director representing the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine
- Richard L. Byyny, MD, Executive Director
- Christopher M. Clark, MD, Student Director representing the University of Mississippi School of Medicine
- Lynn M. Cleary, MD, Councilor Director representing the State University of New York Upstate Medical University
- Candice Cutler, Programs Administrator
- Regina Gandour-Edwards, MD, Incoming Councilor Director representing the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
- Charles Griffith III, MD, MSPH, Councilor Director representing the University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- Richard B. Gunderman, MD, PhD, Member at Large
- Eve J. Higginbotham, SM, MD, Member at Large
- Holly J. Humphrey, MD, Member at Large
- Jane Kimball, Membership Administrator and Editorial Assistant
- Debbie Lancaster, Managing Editor, The Pharos, and Chief Technology Officer
- Richard Latuska, MD, Student Director representing Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Mark J. Mendelsohn, MD, Councilor Director representing the University of Virginia School of Medicine
- William F. Nichols, CPA, Assistant Treasurer
- Douglas S. Paauw, MD, Member at Large and President
- Suzann Pershing, MD, Coordinator, Residency Initiatives
- Sheryl Pfeil, MD, Member at Large
- Barbara Prince, CPA, Controller
- Alan G. Robinson, MD, Member at Large
- Griffin Rodgers, MD, MBA, Medical Organization Director representing the National Institutes of Health
- Wiley Souba, Jr., MD, DSc, MBA, Member at Large
- Joseph W. Stubbs, MD, Member at Large and Secretary Treasurer
- Laura Tisch, MD, Student Director representing the Medical College of Wisconsin
- John Tooker, MD, MBA, Member at Large and Immediate Past President
- Steven A. Wartman, MD, PhD, Member at Large
- Cynthia Arndell, MD, RN, 2015 AΩA Fellow in Leadership
- Jennifer Ellison, CFA, Bingham, Osborn & Scarborough
- Nathan Goldstein, MD, 2014 AΩA Fellow in Leadership (via teleconference)
- Lieutenant Colonel Joshua Hartzell, MD, 2014 AΩA Fellow in Leadership
- Diana Lieberman, Financial Consultant
- Darlene “Dee” Martinez
- Ronald Robinson, MD, MPH, 2015 AΩA Fellow in Leadership
- Monica Vela, MD, 2014 AΩA Fellow in Leadership
- Elizabeth J. Warner, MD, 2015 AΩA Fellow in Leadership
The minutes of the 2014 meeting of the Board of Directors were approved unanimously. The investment program report was led by Dr. Stubbs and Mr. Nichols. Jennifer Ellison from investment firm Bingham Osborn & Scarborough was present, as was independent financial consultant Diana Lieberman.
Ms. Ellison introduced Bingham Osborn & Scarborough and its philosophy of investment. Mr. Nichols and Dr. Byyny commented on the investment program.
Dr. Paauw announced the new officers of the board, effective the end of the meeting: Immediate Past President Douglas Paauw, President Robert Atnip, President-Elect Joseph Stubbs, Secretary-Treasurer Wiley Souba. He welcomed the new directors to the board: Councilor Director Regina Gandour-Edwards and Student Director Jeremy Bolin. He announced the renewal of terms for members at large: Coordinator of Resident Initiatives Suzann Pershing, Member at Large Sheryl Pfeil, and Member at Large Alan Robinson.
Dr. Paauw presented the President’s report. He pointed out that Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine and Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine received full LCME accreditation and were granted charters in 2015. He noted the highlights of the national programs.Dr. Byyny presented the Executive Director’s Report. He recognized the outgoing and incoming members, new officers, and expressed his appreciation for Dr. Paauw’s service as President. He summarized the national office team and organization, reviewed communication with members, national programs, and dues solicitations and finances. He discussed plans for the transition to our new Managing Editor of The Pharos, Dee Martinez, who succeeds Debbie Lancaster after Debbie retires in 2016. The Chapter Handbook will be updated in time for the Councilor Meeting to be held in 2016. He referred to new chapters and potential new chapters, including the plans for a chapter at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. A discussion followed among the board members regarding election criteria and procedures and schools that lack AΩA chapters.
Dr. Stubbs presented the 2015 financial report, 2016 budget, and the audit of the 2014 financial year. Mr. Nichols explained details about the finances and budget.
Dr. Byyny presented the report on The Pharos, which included an overview of the process of review and publication of manuscripts. There was discussion about the role of clear writing in communication, the possible use of social media. It was noted that The Pharos is a peer-reviewed journal and its article are listed in PubMed.
Dr. Pershing presented the report on the residency initiative and the Postgraduate Award. She noted that a major challenge is the lack of engagement once the member becomes a resident. This is due to many factors, including a lack of time, the difficulty of connecting residents with chapters, and the number of residents that can be elected annually at any given chapter.
Dr. Higginbotham and Dr. Byyny presented the report on the Fellow in Leadership Award. They were followed by the reports of the 2014 Fellows on their year’s experiences. The 2014 Fellows presenting were:
- Monica Vela, MD, Associate Dean of Multicultural Affairs, Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago and Associate Vice Chair for Diversity in the Department of Medicine at University of Chicago Medicine
- Lieutenant Colonel Joshua D. Hartzell, MD, Associate Program Director, Internal Medicine, Assitant Chief, GME, and Army Intern Director at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center; Associate Professor of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine
- Nathan Goldstein, MD, Associate Professor, Gerald J. and Dorothy R. Friedman Chair in Palliative Care and Chief of the Division of Palliative Care at Mount Sinai Beth Israel; Director of Research and Quality, Hertzberg Palliative Care Institute, Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Palliative Care, Mount Sinai Medical Center
Dr. Paauw presented the report on the Edward D. Harris Professionalism Award. He summarized the reasons for the change in focus of the award in 2015, including the results of the think tank meetings and the publication of the professionalism monograph. Dr. Byyny summarized the results of this year’s program, mentioning the very positive reception for the monograph.
The 2016 budget was approved unanimously.
Dr. Paauw and the board thanked and recognized retiring members Lynn Cleary and Christopher Clark.
The 2016 board meeting will be held in Chicago, September 30-October 1, 2016.
Richard L. Byyny, MD, Executive Director
2015 AΩA Board of Directors Group Photo
Last modified: 11/5/15
Updated on November 9, 2015.
© 2017 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society