Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society

Search this Site

Online Registration

New members only.
Activate your membership now

Locate a Member

Enter the first part of a member's last name to search


Search

Contact Information

National Office
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
E: info@alphaomegaalpha.org

More Contact Information

National and chapter news

Announcement: Executive Director, Alpha Omega Alpha

After many years of distinguished service as Executive Secretary of Alpha Omega Alpha (AΩA) and editor of The Pharos, Edward (Ted) D. Harris Jr., MD has indicated his desire to retire. Accordingly, AΩA is interested in receiving inquiries from those who might be interested in fulfilling these important roles.

The Executive Director (ED) of AΩA has dual responsibilities as chief administrative officer of the society and as Editor of the Pharos. The AΩA Board of Directors is seeking preferably one person who is a member of AΩA to fulfill both of these functions. The ED must have a strong belief in and commitment to the mission of AΩA and have a record of active service to the organization. She/he must have excellent leadership and management skills, the ability to interact with a diverse group of professionals in medical academia, and excellent literary skills. Currently, the ED devotes approximately 65% of his time to AΩA administration and programs with the remaining 35% devoted to The Pharos. Administrative support for the ED includes 4.25 Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees.

The ED serves as an ex officio member of the Executive Committee of the AΩA Board of Directors. As such the ED must be in close contact with the Executive Committee and the Board. The ED is responsible for implementing the shared vision of the Board and the ED.

  • The ED oversees AΩA programs and periodically evaluates their effectiveness and relevance with the Board.
  • The ED serves as the external spokesperson for AΩA, corresponding with chapters and serving as the contact person to provide information and clarity of AΩA policy and programs, chapter responsibilities, and adjudicate chapter disputes where possible. She/he will be expected to visit chapters periodically, meeting with councilors and deans to provide support and promote AΩA.
  • The ED interacts on a regular basis with AΩA's financial manager to recommend budgets and with the investment team to insure appropriate oversight and reporting to the Board of Directors.
  • As Editor of The Pharos, the ED oversees the work of the full-time managing editor who is primarily responsible for handling accepted manuscripts, managing journal production, and interacting with the publisher and outside contractors.

  • The Editor reviews each manuscript as it arrives and designates those for review.
  • The Editor determines who on the editorial board will review each manuscript.
  • The Editor is responsible for selecting and rotating the members of the Editorial Board, over 40 distinguished individuals.
  • Please send inquiries or referrals to:
    Donald E. Wilson, MD, MACP
    Chair, Succession Committee
    c/o Kaludis Consulting
    1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW
    10th Floor
    Washington, DC 20036
    Phone: 202 772-3120
    Fax: 202 772-3101
    E-mail: George Kaludis of Kaludis Consulting

    Updated on April 19, 2010.


    © 2017 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society