Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
The Pharos Poetry Award
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society is pleased to announce the winners of The Pharos Poetry Award. Out of 138 submissions, the following were selected as the 3 winners:
First Place (tie)—Names by Kellie Mitchell, University of Alabama School of Medicine
First Place (tie)—Hereafter by Alex Sievert, Oregon Health & Science University
Third Place—Healers by Grace Ferri, Boston University School of Medicine
The winner's poems will be published in the 2019 Autumn edition of The Pharos. Congratulations to all.
To encourage medical students to write meaningful poetry related to health or medicine.
Cash awards of $600 for first place; $350 for second place; and $200 for third place. The three winning entries will be published in The Pharos.
Authors must be enrolled in medical schools that have an active AΩA Chapter or Association, but need not be members of AΩA. However, if an applicant is a member of AΩA, he/she must have active status. Only one entry per student.
Entries must be submitted using the AΩA Online Submission link below no later than January 3, 2020. Winners will be announced April 6, 2020. Winning poets must submit a W-9 form prior to the issuance of the award check.
- Poems must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work.
- The poem may be on any subject related to health or medicine.
- The poem must be single spaced, single column, and not exceed two pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins.
- Please do not include any images or special formatting with the poem.
- The poem must not have been offered to or published by any other journal or entered in any other contest.
- Poems not meeting all requirements will be rejected.
- A committee of the editorial board of The Pharos will review the poems and select the winners.
Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
Questions may be directed to Libby Appel at email@example.com
Submit a Poem for Consideration
Beginning August 1, 2019 all AΩA awards, fellowships, grants, and program submissions must be electronically submitted through the appropriate page on the AΩA website.
Updated on September 17, 2019.