Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
New Member Registration
Search this Site
12635 E. Montview Blvd., Suite 270
Aurora, CO 80045
P: (720) 859-4149
F: (720) 859-4158
2019 Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Award
Alpha Omega Alpha is honored to announce the 2018 Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Awardees. The award is given to encourage medical students to write creative narratives or scholarly essays relevant to medicine. The winning essays will be published in the Autumn 2018 edition of The Pharos.
First Prize $2,000— “The Price of Pills: A Brief History of the Kefauver-Harris Amendment” by Reid Wilkening, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
Second Prize $800—“The Louse Manifesto” by Prisca Alilio, University of South Florida Health Morsani College of Medicine
Third Prize $550—“Don Ze Pill” by Rebecca Grossman-Kahn, University of Michigan Medical School
Congratulations to all.
To encourage medical students to write creative narratives or scholarly essays relevant to medicine. Publication of winning essays in The Pharos provides the student with the ever-important achievement of getting articles published.
Cash awards of $2,000 for first place, $800 for second place, and $550 for third place. Winning essays will be published in The Pharos. Prizes will be paid after the receipt of required documentation (see Requirements, below).
Authors must be enrolled in medical schools that have an active ΑΩΑ Chapter or association, but need not be members of ΑΩΑ. However, if the author is an AΩA member, he/she must be an active member. Only one entry may be submitted per student.
Entries must be submitted by online form on the AΩA website no later than 11:59 PM, January 15, 2019, PST. Winners will be announced May 1, 2019.
Requirements for Essays
- Essays must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must be an original work.
- The essay may be on any nontechnical subject related to medicine.
- The essay must not exceed 15 double-spaced pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing. The author’s name and essay title must be on each page, and all pages must be numbered.
- Unique references, numbered consecutively, are limited to 20. (Reference citation of websites is not acceptable unless a site is the sole source of the information or has official academic credentials. Examples of acceptable sites are official government web pages such as that of the National Institutes of Health.)
- The paper must not be offered to, or published by, any other journal or entered in any other contest prior to submission to the AΩA or during the AΩA selection process. Essays that are not selected as winning essays in this AΩA Student Competition may be submitted to other contests/publications after the winners are announced.
- Essays not meeting all requirements will not be accepted.
Requirements for winning essays
When notified of award receipt, authors of all winning papers must provide documentation of references in photocopy as follows: title pages of all books cited; the first and last pages of book chapters cited; the table of contents of the particular issue of the journal in which a cited article appeared; and all quotations, from the primary sources, including page numbers. Awardees must also submit a completed W-9 form.
Essays not receiving an award
Essays not selected as the top three, may be revised and submitted for standard review for publication in The Pharos.
Contact Libby Appel at 720-859-4149, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit an Essay for Consideration
Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion, and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
Updated on May 9, 2019.