Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
2017 Pharos Poetry Competition
To encourage medical students to write effective poetry.
Cash awards of $600 for first place, $350 for second place, and $200 for third place.
Authors must be enrolled at medical schools with active ΑΩΑ Chapters or associations, but need not be members of ΑΩΑ. However, if applicants are members of AΩA, they must have active status. Only one entry per student.
Entries must be sent by online form no later than 11:59 PM, November 30, 2016, PST. Winners will be announced April 1, 2017 and all participants informed.
- Poems must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work.
- The poem may be on any subject related to health or medicine.
- The poem must be single spaced, single column, and not exceed two pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins.
- Please do not include any images or special formatting with the poem.
- The poem must not have been offered to or published by any other journal or entered in any other contest and must be submitted to The Pharos, the official publication of ΑΩΑ, which has the right of first refusal.
- The poem must be submitted on an online form through the AΩA web site.
- Poems not meeting all requirements will be rejected.
- A committee of the editorial board of The Pharos will review the poems and select the winners.
- Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
Submit a Poem for Consideration
Updated on September 28, 2016.
© 2016 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society