Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
~THIS CONTEST HAS CLOSED FOR THE YEAR.~
2016 Pharos Poetry Competition
To encourage medical students to write effective poetry.
The criteria by which poems are judged are:
- Imagery and use of language
- Poetic structure and technique
- Emotional appeal
- Relevance to Pharos readers
For help in writing effective poetry see:
"What Poetry Does"
$600 first; $350 second; $200 third, honorable mention $75.
Authors must be enrolled at medical schools with active AΩA chapters or associations (Class of 2016 or later), but need not be members of AΩA.Only one entry may be submitted by each student.
Entries must be sent by online form no later than November 30, 2015, Midnight PST. Winners will be announced on or about April 1, 2016 and all participants informed.
- Poems must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work. Only one poem may be submitted to the competition per author.
- The poem may be on any subject related to medicine.
- The poem must be single spaced, single column, and not exceed two pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins. The author's name and poem title must be on each page, and pages must be numbered.
- The poem must not have been offered to or published by any other journal or entered in any other contest and must be submitted to The Pharos, the official publication of AΩA, which has the right of first refusal.
- Please Note: Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
- The poem must be sent by online application
- Poems not meeting all requirements will be rejected.
- A committee of the editorial board of The Pharos will review the poems and select the winners.
You should have no expectations of privacy regarding the submission and its review.
Poems not accepted for The Pharos but published elsewhere should include the following acknowledgment:
Submitted as an entry in the 2016 Pharos Poetry Competition.
Submit a Poem for Consideration
Updated on April 1, 2016.
© 2016 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society