Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter member's last name to search
2013 Postgraduate AwardThe opportunity
Support to allow AΩA residents or fellows to pursue a project in the spirit of the AΩA mission statement. Projects must fall into one of five categories:
- Research: Support for clinical investigation, basic laboratory research, epidemiology, or social science/health services research.
- Service: Local or international service work, focusing on underprivileged or immigrant populations or those in the developing world, as well as patient and population education projects.
- Teaching and education: Research, development, or implementation of education academic curricula, with the focus on postgraduate education.
- Leadership: Leadership development.
- Humanism and professionalism: Projects designed to encourage understanding, development, and retention of traits of humanism and professionalism among physicians, directed to physicians in postgraduate training.
Up to ten awards of $2000, one-half paid on announcement of the award and one-half on approval of the final report. Schools, departments, and/or programs are encouraged to provide additional or matching funds.Eligibility
Medical residents and fellows from programs at institutions with an active AΩA chapter or association. Applicants must be AΩA members and must be nominated by their residency or fellowship program directors. Only one application from each program may be sent to the chapter councilor, who will then select one application from the chapter.Dates for application
- Proposals must be submitted to the councilor before April 30, 2013.
- The final application to the national office must be postmarked no later than May 31, 2013.
The councilor and his or her selection committee will choose the proposal judged to be the most promising and with a high probability of completion during the next year. Preliminary screening of applications may be done by the councilor with the aid of AΩA chapter members. Applications should include:
- A letter of nomination from the applicant's residency or fellowship program director, including a commitment to allow the applicant time to complete the proposed project.
- A summary of the project written by the applicant. Requirements are listed on the checklist sheet attached.
- The applicant's CV, bibliography, and other personal and contact information as listed on the checklist sheet attached.
- A letter of support from the applicant's mentor (if applicable), indicating his or her commitment of time and interest to the project and applicant.
- The mentor's NIH biosketch (if applicable).
- An endorsement of the applicant's department chair, which should comment on the applicant's achievements and potential, and the suitability of the faculty sponsor for mentoring (if applicable).
The proposal selected by the councilor's selection committee must be sent to the national office, and must include, in addition to the items included in the submission to the councilor, a letter of endorsement from the AΩA councilor.
All materials must be submitted in triplicate. All supporting letters MUST accompany the original submission; incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Mail the original and two copies of the application to:
Alpha Omega Alpha
525 Middlefield Road, Suite 130
Menlo Park, California 94025
An AΩA committee will evaluate each proposal. Additional information or clarification may be requested.Date of award announcement
On or about August 15, 2013Other important information
- Approval of clinical or animal projects by the local medical center IRB or IACUC will be necessary before funding is approved.
- If the award is to paid to the applicant, a W-9 will be required before a check can be issued.
- No later than September 30, 2014, the recipient must submit a report of the project to the Menlo Park Office. Award recipients are also encouraged to keep a journal or blog (including photos or video, if applicable), particularly for service-related projects, which may be linked to the AΩA web site. Any publication of the project findings must contain the following acknowledgment: Supported in part by an Alpha Omega Alpha Postgraduate Awards.
Contact Debbie Lancaster at (650) 329-0291 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the form (MS Word Document)
© 2013 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society