Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
Past Recipients & Research Abstracts:
2017 Postgraduate AwardThe opportunity
Supports residents or fellows in their pursuit of a research or scholarly project in the spirit of the AΩA mission. Priority for scholarly projects will be given to those in the areas of leadership, professionalism, and teaching.The awards
Up to 10 awards of $2,000 each, with one-half paid on announcement of the award, and one-half on approval of the final report. Schools, departments, and/or programs are encouraged to provide additional or matching funds. Only one candidate per school may be nominated.Eligibility
Medical residents and fellows from programs at institutions with an active AΩA Chapter or association. Applicants must be nominated by their residency or fellowship program directors. Only one application from each program may be sent to the Chapter Councilor, who will then select one application to submit from the Chapter. Applicants need not be AΩA members, however, those who are members must have active status. In addition, all AΩA members included in the submission packet must have active status.Dates for application
- Proposals must be submitted to the councilor before April 30, 2017.
- The final application to the national office must be received no later than 11:59 PM PST, May 30, 2017.
Application to the councilor
The Councilor and his/her selection committee will choose the proposal judged to be the most promising and with a high probability of completion during the next year. Applications should include:
- A completed checklist (download checklist).
- A summary of the project written by the applicant. Requirements are listed on the checklist.
- The project bibliography (if applicable).
- If required, a copy of IRB/IACUC approval or proof of submission for approval.
- The applicant’s CV.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s mentor (if applicable), indicating his/her commitment of time and interest to the project and applicant.
- The mentor’s biosketch (if applicable).
- A letter of nomination from the applicant’s residency or fellowship program director, including a commitment to allow the applicant time to complete the proposed project.
- An endorsement of the applicant’s department chair, which should comment on the applicant’s achievements and potential, and the suitability of the faculty sponsor for mentoring (if applicable).
Application to the national office
The proposal selected by the Councilor must be sent to the National office, and, in addition to the items included in the submission to the Councilor, must include:
- A letter of endorsement from the AΩA Councilor.
- All materials submitted as a PDF in the format listed on the checklist; incomplete applications will not be accepted.
An AΩA committee will evaluate each proposal. Additional information or clarification may be requested.Date of award announcement
August 15, 2017.Other important information
- Approval of clinical or animal projects by the local medical center IRB or IACUC are required before funding is provided.
- No indirect costs will be paid.
- If the award is to be paid to the applicant, a W-9 will be required before a check can be issued.
- No later than September 30, 2018, the recipient must submit a final report of the project to the National Office. Award recipients are also encouraged to keep a journal or blog (including photos or video, if applicable), particularly for service-related projects, which may be linked to the AΩA web site. Any publication of the project findings must contain the following acknowledgment: Supported in part by an Alpha Omega Alpha Postgraduate Award.
E-mail Dee Martinez or phone at (650) 329-0291
Updated on September 28, 2016.
© 2016 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society