Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
Past Recipients & Research Abstracts:
Read: Dr. Victoria Mui blogs about her 2013 Postgraduate Award project
2015 Postgraduate AwardThe opportunity
Support to allow residents or fellows to pursue a project in the spirit of the AΩA mission statement. Must be a research project or a scholarly project fulfilling the requirements for scholarly activity by the ACGME. Priority for scholarly projects will be given to those in the areas of leadership, professionalism, and teaching. Others may be considered based on the merits of the proposal.The awards
Up to ten awards of $2000, one-half paid on announcement of the award and one-half on approval of the final report. Schools, departments, and/or programs are encouraged to provide additional or matching funds.Eligibility
Medical residents and fellows from programs at institutions with an active AΩA chapter or association. Applicants must be nominated by their residency or fellowship program directors. Only one application from each program may be sent to the chapter councilor, who will then select one application from the chapter. Applicants need not be AΩA members.Dates for application
- Proposals must be submitted to the councilor before April 30, 2015.
- The final application to the national office must be received no later than midnight May 30, 2015.
The councilor and his or her selection committee will choose the proposal judged to be the most promising and with a high probability of completion during the next year. Preliminary screening of applications may be done by the councilor with the aid of AΩA chapter members. Applications should include:
- A completed checklist (download checklist).
- A summary of the project written by the applicant. Requirements are listed on the checklist sheet.
- The project bibliography (if applicable).
- If required, a copy of IRB/IACUC approval or proof of submission for approval.
- The applicant's CV.
- A letter of support from the applicant's mentor (if applicable), indicating his or her commitment of time and interest to the project and applicant.
- The mentor's NIH biosketch (if applicable).
- A letter of nomination from the applicant’s residency or fellowship program director, including a commitment to allow the applicant time to complete the proposed project.
- An endorsement of the applicant’s department chair, which should comment on the applicant’s achievements and potential, and the suitability of the faculty sponsor for mentoring (if applicable).
The proposal selected by the councilor’s selection committee must be sent to the national office, and must include, in addition to the items included in the submission to the councilor:
- A letter of endorsement from the AΩA councilor.
All materials must be submitted as either a single PDF or a set of PDFs in the format listed on the checklist; incomplete applications will be rejected.
E-mail the application to Debbie Lancaster no later than midnight May 30, 2015, PDT.The review process
An AΩA committee will evaluate each proposal. Additional information or clarification may be requested.Date of award announcement
On or about August 17, 2015.Other important information
- Approval of clinical or animal projects by the local medical center IRB or IACUC will be necessary before funding is approved.
- No indirect costs will be paid.
- If the award is to paid to the applicant, a W-9 will be required before a check can be issued.
- No later than September 30, 2016, the recipient must submit a report of the project to the Menlo Park Office. Award recipients are also encouraged to keep a journal or blog (including photos or video, if applicable), particularly for service-related projects, which may be linked to the AΩA web site. Any publication of the project findings must contain the following acknowledgment: Supported in part by an Alpha Omega Alpha Postgraduate Award.
E-mail Debbie Lancaster or phone at (650) 329-0291
© 2015 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society