Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
2017 Edward D. Harris Professionalism AwardThe award
A one-time award of $10,000 to recognize and honor faculty, programs, and institutions with the best practices in medical professionalism education. Up to three awards are presented each year.Description
Alpha Omega Alpha is seeking nominations for ongoing programs in medical schools or other institutions that represent best practices in the teaching and learning of medical professionalism. Individuals or teams may apply. Programs should:
- Include medical students, residents, faculty, and/or practicing physicians;
- Show evidence of effectiveness;
- Show evidence of sustainability; and
- Be exportable to other medical institutions
Programs at medical schools that have an active Alpha Omega Alpha Chapter are eligible, or institutions affiliated with medical schools with an active Chapter.
Medical schools that have won the Professionalism Award are not eligible to submit another application for three subsequent years.
All AΩA members included in the nomination packet must have active status in AΩA.
- Leaders of the programs may be asked to attend a medical professionalism conference sponsored by AΩA to present their programs. Expenses will be paid by AΩA.
- Attendees of the conference may be requested to submit a Chapter for possible inclusion in a monograph to be published by AΩA. Application to the AΩA councilor
Councilors may submit one nominee to the AΩA National office. The application to the Councilor must be received by April 1, 2017, and must include:
- The completed checklist (Download here)
- description of the program, including:
- Purpose and background
- Categories of participants
- Implementation details
- Effectiveness measures
- Sustainability measures
- Exportability measures
In addition to the items listed here, by May 1, 2017, the Councilor should include a letter of endorsement in the final application packet sent to the National office.
All materials must be submitted as either a single PDF or a set of PDFs in the format listed on the checklist. All materials must be submitted in one e-mail. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
Councilors should e-mail the nomination to Dee Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM, May 1, 2016, PDT.
Awardees will be notified June 15, 2016.
Updated on October 3, 2016.
© 2016 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society