Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
2017 Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Awards
This competition encourages medical students to write creative narratives or scholarly essays relevant to medicine. Publication of prize winners in The Pharos aids the student with the ever-important process of getting articles published.
Cash awards of $2,000 for first place, $800 for second place, and $550 for third place. Winning essays will be published in The Pharos. Prizes will be paid after the receipt of required documentation (see Requirements, below).
Authors must be enrolled at medical schools that have an active ΑΩΑ Chapter or association, but need not be members of ΑΩΑ; however, if they are AΩA they must be an active member. Only one entry may be submitted per student.
Entries must be submitted by online form on the AΩA website no later than 11:59 PM, January 31, 2017, PST. Winners will be announced May 1, 2017.
Requirements for Essays
- Essays must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work.
- The essay may be on any nontechnical subject related to medicine.
- The essay must not exceed 15 double-spaced pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing. The author’s name and essay title must be on each page, and all pages must be numbered.
- Unique references, numbered consecutively, are limited to 20. (Reference citation of websites is not acceptable unless a site is the sole source of the information or has official academic credentials. Examples of acceptable sites are official government web pages such as that of the National Institutes of Health.)
- The paper must not have been offered to, or published by, any other journal or entered in any other contest.
- Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to upholding a high standard of professionalism, compassion and humanism in medicine. Patients should be treated with dignity and their privacy respected. We will not accept submissions to any of our programs that conflict with these values, or contain bigotry, or highly politicized content.
- Essays not meeting all requirements will not be accepted.
Requirements for Winning Essays
When notified of award receipt, authors of all winning papers must provide documentation of references in photocopy as follows: title pages of all books cited; the first and last pages of book chapters cited; the table of contents of the particular issue of the journal in which a cited article appeared; and all quotations, from the primary sources, including page numbers.
Essays Not Receiving an Award
Essays not selected as the top three, may be revised and submitted for standard review for publication in The Pharos.
Contact Dee Martinez at (650) 329-0291 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit an Essay for Consideration
Updated on December 7, 2016.
© 2016 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society