Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter member's last name only to search
**The 2014 Student Essay Contest has closed.**
2014 Helen H. Glaser Student Essay Awards
To encourage medical students to write creative narratives or scholarly essays relevant to medicine.
$2000 first, $750 second, $500 third, and honorable mention awards of $250 each. Prizes will be paid after the receipt of required documentation (see Requirements for winning essays, below).
Authors must be enrolled at medical schools with active ΑΩΑ chapters or associations (Class of 2014 or later), but need not be members of ΑΩΑ. Only one entry may be submitted per student.
Entries must be sent by online form no later than midnight January 31, 2014, PST. Winners will be announced no later than May 1, 2014 and all participants informed.
Requirements for Essays
- Essays must be written while the student is in medical school, must be the work of a single author, and must represent original work.
- The essay may be on any nontechnical subject related to medicine. Well-referenced, scholarly essays will be given preference.
- The essay must not exceed 15 double-spaced pages of 12-point type with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing. The author’s name and essay title must be on each page, and all pages must be numbered.
- Unique references, numbered consecutively, are limited to 20. (Reference citation of web sites is not acceptable unless a site is the sole source of the information or has official academic credentials. Examples of acceptable sites are official government web pages such as that of the National Institutes of Health.)
- The paper must not have been offered to or published by any other journal or entered in any other contest and must be submitted to The Pharos, the official publication of ΑΩΑ, which has the right of first refusal.
- The essay must be submitted via the AΩA web site.
- Essays not meeting all requirements will be rejected.
- A committee of the editorial board of The Pharos will review the essays and select the winners. Judging will be on the basis of originality, scholarship, style and composition, and relevance.
You should have no expectations of privacy regarding the submission and its review.
Requirements for Winning Essays
When notified of award receipt, authors of all winning papers must provide documentation of references in photocopy as follows: title pages of all books cited; the first and last pages of book chapters cited; the table of contents of the particular issue of the journal in which a cited article appeared; all quotations, from the primary sources, including page numbers.
Essays Not Receiving an Award
Essays may be revised and submitted for standard review for publication in The Pharos. Papers not accepted for The Pharos but published elsewhere should include the following acknowledgment: Submitted as an entry in the 2014 Alpha Omega Alpha Student Essay Competition.
Contact Jane Kimball at (650) 329-0291 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit an Essay for Consideration
© 2014 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society