Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
Past Recipients & Program Summaries:
~THIS CONTEST HAS CLOSED FOR THE YEAR.~
2015 Medical Student Service Leadership Project Award
Alpha Omega Alpha is committed to preparing future leaders in medicine and health care. Leadership is about making a positive difference and can be learned through education, observation, and experience, and working with leader mentors. Service learning may provide an excellent opportunity for students to develop as servant leaders. Only one team from each school may be nominated.
To support leadership development for medical students
Amount of Award
$5000 for the first year, $3000 for the second year, $1000 for the third year.
- A team of students at a school with an AΩA chapter or association. Teams with AΩA members serving as team leaders will be given priority.
- Proposals with matching institutional or dean’s funds will be given priority.
- Only one proposal may be submitted for each institution for each three years of funding. Applications must be for new projects with the potential to generate future support from the medical school or other sources, not supplemental funding for existing programs. A new component of an existing program may be eligible.
- AΩA faculty mentor(s) and team of students with designated leaders
- Regular team meetings with the mentor related to leadership, service, and reflection
- Participation in a defined and structured school or institutional leadership development program for students related to health care, medicine, or medical education that will continue during the grant program.
- A service learning project for an underserved population, e.g., the indigent, immigrants, homeless, etc., or a service project related to professionalism in the school, hospital, or clinics
- A description about how the program, mentor, and service learning experience will teach leadership
- Submission of an annual progress report for each year and a final report to the AΩA national office upon completion of the third year.
- Funding for the second and third years is contingent on acceptance of the report for the previous year's work.
Dates for application
|12/31/2014||Application to the AΩA councilor|
|1/31/2015||Application from the AΩA councilor to the AΩA national office|
|3/16/2015||AΩA national office announces awards|
|2/28/2016||Project completion and progress report to the national office, including budget|
|2/28/2017||Second-year progress report (+ budget)|
|2/28/2018||Third-year progress report (+ budget)|
Application to the councilor
The councilor and his or her selection committee will choose the proposal judged to be the most promising and with a high probability of first year completion during the subsequent year. The following must be submitted:
- The completed checklist (download the checklist)
- A four-page description of the project with a detailed budget written by the student team leader. Details of the role of the students in project preparation and execution must be provided. The award will be paid to the sponsoring institution. Payee name and tax ID must be included. No indirect costs will be paid.
- Description of the team and team leaders and leadership components
- Description of AΩA chapter role in project, if applicable
- Description of the role of the faculty mentor(s)/advisor(s) and leadership curriculum for the students
- A letter of support from the faculty mentor(s) that indicates the mentor's commitment of time and interest to the project, the students, and leadership development
- Faculty mentor biosketch(es) (3-4 pages)
Application to the national office
The proposal selected by the councilor’s selection committee must be sent to the national office, and must include, in addition to the items included in the submission to the councilor:
- A letter of endorsement from the AΩA councilor
- A dean's endorsement that should comment on the student team leader's achievements and potential and the suitability of the faculty sponsor for mentoring.
- Optional: Commitment of matching funds by the dean or school.
All materials must be submitted as either a single PDF or a set of the PDFs in the format listed on the checklist. Incomplete applications will be rejected. E-mail the application to Candice Cutler by midnight January 31, 2015, PST.More important information
The award will be paid to the sponsoring institution. Complete payee information will be required when the application is approved.
© 2015 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society