Search this Site
New members only.
Activate your membership now
Locate a Member
Enter the first part of a member's last name to search
Past Visiting Professors:
Any medical school with an active AΩA chapter may host one visiting professorship during each academic year, funded by the national office. Information pertaining to the visit should be submitted online at least six weeks in advance of the visit on the AΩA website. No nominations accepted in July.
Requirements for the Visit
- The visiting professor will provide one full day, or more, of teaching and interacting with students, residents, and faculty.
- The event should be titled the “AΩA Visiting Professorship,” and included on all posters, announcements, press releases and other collateral related to the visit.
- The AΩA Chapter must submit a one-page summary of the visit and activities to the National office within 30 days of the visit.
Required Activities of the Visiting Professor
- Clinical and/or rounds, research discussions, teaching conferences or seminars;
- One or more sessions on leadership and/or medical professionalism;
- Departmental Grand Rounds; and/or
- A major address to the medical school community, or presentation at the annual AΩA banquet.
Organization and Arrangements
The AΩA Councilor, in consultation with the Chapter’s student members and other members of the faculty, must select the visiting professor at least six weeks before the event. The Councilor provides the following information online to the National Office:
- Dates of the visit, proposed schedule and professor’s contact information
- Visiting professor’s name, title, affiliation, full address, phone number, E-mail address, and assistant’s contact information
Submit Visiting Professor Information
Funds provided by the AΩA national office include:
- Coach airfare and/or standard ground transportation;
- Standard hotel room for one or two nights;
- Visiting professor’s meals, exclusive of official functions planned and funded by the Chapter or school; and
- Honorarium of $1,500. The visiting professor may forgo the honorarium in which case it will be donated to the hosting chapter.
Expenses expected to exceed the usual for the above items must be approved by the National office before the visit.
Direct requests to Barbara Prince or call (650) 329-0291.
Expense reimbursement requests must be submitted by the visiting professor on the expense form received in the confirmation e-mail within 30 days. AΩA will reimburse the individual or institution that expended the funds, but cannot make direct payments to vendors.
Requests for expense reimbursement must be submitted using the AΩA Expense Reimbursement form.
Updated on October 3, 2016.
© 2017 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society